Sunday, December 23, 2012

I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!


About 11-1/2 years ago, I went into premature labor at the end of my second trimester.  I was given medication and put on bedrest, and was able to delay him for a while, but that little boy wasn’t going to wait.  My son was born at 29-1/2 weeks.  He has been early for everything ever since.

To him, if he is not early, he is late.  There is no such thing as on time.  We are always the first to baseball practice and games.  To birthday parties.  To appointments.

School starts at 8:00, and the students are not allowed out of the car at school until 7:30 each morning, but if I am not in the car line by 7:20, he is in a panic.  One of these days, the fact that I forgot something and had to run back in the house is  going to give him a heart attack.

He really can't wait for Christmas.  I had already agreed to let him have gifts from my husband and I early tomorrow since he will be leaving for his dad’s for a week on Christmas day.  Today he found a way to make it come even earlier.  We were playing basketball in the driveway, and he asked “If I make it from here (a spot in the neighbor’s yard) with my eyes closed, can I open a gift early?”  Thinking there was no chance he’d do it, I agreed.  Swoosh…in it went!  He shook a few packages for the hundredth time and  picked out a gift from under the tree.

He is now happily setting up his PS Vita.  Two days before Christmas.  I should have better disguised the underwear!

I may not get to see the big thrill Christmas morning now, but at least for the moment I am not listening to incessant questions about what time he can open gifts.  That is, until he wakes up bright and early in the morning wanting the rest of them…If he had his way, Christmas would have been a week ago.

And that’s why they have wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment