Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Joy I Didn't Know Was Possible


When I took a home pregnancy test a little over 12 years ago, I was not happy with the results.  I cried. And cried.  And panicked.  And cried.  For days.

I did not want children.  Though I actually really like children, and they have always been strangely attracted to me, other people’s kids went home, and it wasn’t mine.  I have very little patience.  I don’t like messy things.  I am easily grossed out.  Babytalk makes me gag.  I like to have everything all lined up and know what to expect.  I like to drink wine, and hang out with friends and spontaneously just go places.  I’m not made of the things I thought mothers were made of.

I was also single, with a job and career, athletic, and travel goals, and not a lot of money.  I lived in a 600 square foot apartment with a very clingy, protective dog whom was not going to let some small human too near me.

I went to my OB/GYN, who confirmed my future.  A few days later, I could eat nothing but saltines and water, for weeks.  I was given medication and it didn’t help.  On a subsequent visit, I learned I had gestational diabetes.  No more saltines, they were not on my approved food list.  Neither were potatoes, bread, pasta, fried foods, anything sweet, basically anything I lived on.  Being a runner with a carb addiction for over 15 years at that time, I didn’t know what to eat, and had trouble gaining weight.   

When I was 23-1/2 weeks pregnant, a few days after I actually just started exclusively wearing maternity clothes, I had some contractions.  I looked in my “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” book and deduced they were Braxton-Hicks contractions, perfectly normal.  The next day I was at work and went to the bathroom.  And there was blood.  I called my boyfriend and he picked me up and took me to the hospital.  I had lost my mucus plug and was dilated.  I was having premature labor. 

I was given drugs to stop it, and a steroid shot to help my baby’s lungs grow.  My doctor wanted me to stay in the hospital.  Because of my aforementioned dog, I talked him into bedrest at home.  I was not allowed to work, even from home.  I was not even supposed to get out of bed except to use the bathroom and shower.  I was not allowed to take that dog for a walk, luckily for me I could open my door, he’d run down the stairs and do his business and run right back up.  I had to have people shop for me.  And drive me to doctor’s appointments, of which there were many.  I had to see my doctor and go to the hospital for an ultrasound weekly.  

Really, all this?  When I wasn’t even planning to have a child?  Apparently God was trying to show me I DID have the stuff mothers are made of.  And in that time I started really getting attached to that little baby.

 At my ultrasound appointment at 29-1/2 weeks, the tech got a worried look on her face.  She sent me to the waiting room and told me not to leave, she was calling my doctor.  After 20 minutes, she came out and told me I was to go straight to his office.  She handed me a 3-D image of my son, something that at the time was not the norm.  I later learned she wanted me to have a picture of my child, alive.

The office was a block away, I was there 2 minutes later.  Despite a waiting room full of patients, the nurse ran right out and took me to an exam room.  Ten minutes later there was a room reserved for me at the hospital, I was on my way to be induced.

Family was called, as well as a wonderful friend who prayed with me and held my hand and talked to my doctor in Spanish with both of them thinking I didn’t know what they were saying.

My baby was in distress.  The cord was around his neck.  He was upside down and backwards.  I was so scared that I was going to lose that little child I hadn’t thought I wanted, as was everyone else.

I was given drugs to induce labor, my water was broken, and later was given an epidural.  A room was reserved for a C-Section in case I needed it.  It didn’t have to be used, but the delivery was not easy.  I could see the stress in my doctor’s eyes.

Finally, he was here.  But he wasn’t crying, wasn’t making a sound.  I wasn’t allowed to see and touch him.  The neonatologist was called and he was surrounded by medical people.  Finally, he was breathing, and then he was rushed off out of the delivery room.  I didn’t even know what that 4-1/2 pound little boy looked like.

Tonight, he is a few months from being 12 years old, and is fast asleep in his room, in his little “cave” created in his bottom bunk.  His room is full of his beloved stuff, his stuffed animals, his video games, his baseball memorabilia.  He is an outstanding athlete – he has been an All Star baseball player since the first year he started and has even beat his former college cross-country runner mother in a local road race.  He has the greatest sense of humor and is very entertaining.  He is caring and loyal and sensitive.  He makes a mean turkey burger and homemade lemonade.  I don’t know what I would do without that kid.  I really don't.  He is my joy.  A joy that 12 years ago I never imagined was possible.

No, things are not perfect.  We deal with ADHD and learning disabilities, and are ready to kill each other after its taken 3 hours to complete 20 minutes of homework.  He can’t tie his shoes and has trouble with eating utensils due to fine motor skill impairments.  He has learned sarcasm from, um, someone, and is not afraid to use it, often at not very ideal times.  He is messy and tries my patience and does gross stuff and will talk babytalk just to annoy me. 

But that’s why they have wine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment