Tuesday, April 23, 2013

But the Cheese Is White


One of the reasons I talk about my son’s struggles on this blog is to try to raise awareness.  Awareness to decrease judgment.  Awareness to decrease fear.  Awareness to increase understanding. 

Today, when picking Aiden up from school, I knew that I needed to inform him as soon as he got in the car that we were going to stop at the educational store down the street, how long we would be there, and exactly what we would be doing (5 minutes and buying a cursive workbook he requested, for the record).  When he was outside in the yard and saw me take a plant out of the window to water, he came to the window and started knocking, Sheldon Cooper style (Google Bing Bang Theory TV show if you don’t know what I’m talking about!), and after the 20 seconds it took me to get back to the window I had to calmly point out, once again, that I would be right there in a few seconds, there is no need to keep knocking like that.  As I handed him his dinner, I explained that the cheese on his burger was indeed cheddar, it was just white cheddar, no need to worry.

Why?  Because I know my kid.  I know how the slightest bit of change in schedule or feeling like he does not know what is going on or that he can’t have mom immediately when he needs her freaks him out.  How it causes anxiety.  How it can create a miserable evening.  How there is something in his brain that just misfires.

And a particular event at school has made me even more determined to raise awareness.  The children with “accommodations”, aka 504 plans or IEP’s get pulled out to a separate classroom for standardized testing (known as FCAT here).  Those particular children, this week, are taking their tests on other than the scheduled days.  The scheduled days that are emphasized to everyone.  And no one told them or their parents ahead of time.  What do you think that does to a kid who has a problem with eating white cheese instead of yellow?  It sets them up for more failure.  And shows me that the need for understanding is huge.

And that’s why I write.  And when the frustration is overwhelming, that is why they have wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment