Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Boy in the Garage


Our garage is a busy place.  Aiden walks in and out of there several times a day to get balls, bats, skateboards, scooters, Nerf guns, and the occasional thing that I don’t even know is out there.  It’s also a messy place.  Sometimes it takes him a while to find something.

His cat, Nala, has recently taken too sitting by the door from the kitchen to the garage, the one she sees Aiden use so often, and meowing.  Or trying to rush through it when one my husband or I go out it.  Or finding me and meowing, and when I ask what she wants, running to the door.  At first I wondered if perhaps there was a mouse living out there she was after, but then I realized something.

She only does this when Aiden is not in the house.  She does it even more often if he’s been gone for a while, like when he is at his dad’s for the weekend.  She is looking for Aiden.  She thinks he’s out there.

No concept in that little kitty mind that he might just be across the street at a friend’s house.  Or at school.  Something must be terribly wrong if she can’t find him.  Good think she can’t use a phone…”Hey, 911, I think the big people have locked my little person out in that mysterious place full of boxes.  And they won’t let me check.”

And she is the most normal of our animal clan.

Pets, they are something else.  They can make your day or drive you crazy.  Sometimes at the same time.

And sometimes I think THEY need wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment