Tuesday, November 20, 2012

An 11 year old's view of Thanksgiving

Asked my son what he was thankful for this Thanksgiving.  His answer was "the food, family, school, baseball, my toys, amusement parks, and electronics." 

I then asked "What do you think people should be more thankful for?"

"The small stuff," he replied.

"The small stuff?"

"Yeah, you know, like good weather, books, and Pez dispensers.  The small stuff."

I liked the way he summed that up.  There are a lot of little things that put a smile on our face, make our day better, improve the quality of our life.  He's right, how often do we really feel thankful for those things?  We take a lot of things in life for granted.  While a Pez dispenser may not be the little thing that brings YOU a smile, there is something that does.  A Starbucks Pumpkin Spiced Latte, a favorite TV show, a picture of Johnny Depp...

I'm going to sit here and contemplate for a while on all the small stuff.  And then take in that maybe sometimes my kid is smarter than me. 

That's why they have wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment