Friday, March 22, 2013

Eating Healthy on Any Budget


I’m not going to lie, eating healthy isn’t cheap.  But it’s not as expensive as most people think it is either.

If you look at the change to healthy as just substituting, you know, buying the gluten-free or organic version of the same thing you already buy, the cost can be scary.  The key is to change the WAY you eat, finding alternatives.

“Convenience” is one of the most expensive things to happen to our society.  Processed and take-out food is quite costly when you you consider the cost of the actual ingredients in them.   Many of those ingredients being things you wouldn’t find in your own kitchen (or anyone else’s!) And that’s not even considering the health costs in our future caused by it...treating high blood pressure, diabetes, even cancer. 

On a busy day, when there is school and work and tutoring and baseball practice, we may get fast food.  One trip through the Chick-Fil-A drive-through for a petite woman and her 11 year old son, getting only a couple of sandwiches and sides, not even drinks, easily comes to $15.  I can make a completely organic dinner consisting of a meat, grain, and vegetable for that same woman and child, AND the woman’s husband, for less than that.

1.      Cut out the processed and fast food, and you’ll be amazed how much money you have to spend on fresh vegetables.  Vegetables that can be bought at a very good price at farmer’s markets and produce stands.  Personally, I have a weekly home delivery of organic fresh fruits and vegetables from a local company...and I couldn’t buy the amount of non-organic produce at the regular grocery store for the same price.

2.       Make your own food.  Cooking can be fun.  You can be creative.  You’ll discover new things.  It takes me about 30 minutes of my time to make a meal (yes, you may have to roast a chicken for an hour and a half, but you don’t have to stand there watching it!), the same amount of time it’s going to take me to drive to a fast food restaurant, wait in line, and drive back home.  If you have older kids, you can even make them do the cleanup afterwards!  And you CAN cook things ahead of time (or make twice as much as you need for the current meal) and freeze them for busy days - that is actually my next goal!

3.       Research.  Find where you can buy things the cheapest.  For a certain organic product, I can go to a small “health food” store about a mile from my house and pay $7.  Or I can drive another 2 blocks to the regular grocery store and get it for about $6.  Or, I can drive across town to Whole Foods, and get it for $4.  I drive across town every week or two to stock up....less convenient, but much cheaper.  I drive across town for work and for my son’s baseball league, why not for my and my family’s health?  I also buy our gluten free bread at a local bakery, and it’s much cheaper and more importantly, much tastier than the frozen stuff in the grocery store.

4.       Find alternatives.  We limit gluten in our diet, but I don’t have a pantry full of gluten-free labeled foods.  Some of the substitutes, like gluten free pasta is, in my opinion, icky.  My son doesn’t like pasta anyways and that’s who we limit the gluten for.  We eat rice instead.  I don’t buy the organic versions of frozen meals, we eat fresh food and cook it.  I bake cookies, make my own salad dressing and sauces, just flat out don’t eat certain things.

5.      Start small.  Pick one thing you want to change, and do it.  Cut out artificial sweeteners, or white flour, or high fructose syrup, or one less fast food meal a week.  When it becomes routine, move on to the next.

Just don’t cut out the wine. ;)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment