Thursday, June 16, 2016

What Happened To Compassion?

As I sit here online applying a Passholder discount code to our reservations this fall at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club resort, I can’t help feeling a little guilty.

Guilty because Disney is my happy place, my escape, the place I can go and actually not think about anything going on in the rest of the world or the rest of my life.

Guilty because my son recently listed Disney on a school project as his favorite place to go on vacation.

Guilty because we are Florida residents and passholders who have been to Disney more times than we can possibly count and have always had a good experience.

Guilty because we’ve sat on the resort “beaches,” at night, on various bodies of water, goofing around and having a great time, since my son was a toddler.

Guilty because my now teen and I have joked about alligators being on the shore trying to scare each other.

There is a family who went to the Walt Disney World Resort this week hoping for fun, happiness, and a lot of great memories.  That family had something very tragic and random and heartbreaking happen.  This will never be their happy place, their favorite vacation, happy memories.  They have to go home without a member of their family.  Their little boy will never be a teen like mine is. This wasn’t supposed to happen.  They are filled with grief, anger, sadness. 

And they have all the perfect people, parents and non-parents alike, judging them and scrutinizing their actions, and having to place blame somewhere.  They were just spending time having fun as a family, drawing closer to each other, and relaxing.  This was a freak act of nature. They deserve our prayers, our understanding, and our tears.  Can’t we even do that?


That’s why they have wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment