Sunday, November 17, 2013

But You Told Me Not To Do That


My 12 year old is currently playing on two baseball teams, for the Hurricanes he pitches and plays first base, and for the Tide he plays outfield.  All very different types of throwing.

After Thursday’s Tide practice, he asked if he could use the heating pad because his arm really hurt.  Asked him where…mainly the shoulder and somewhat at the elbow.  Asked him when…started during warm ups. (He should have told a coach at that point, but that’s a whole other story!)  Took him home, gave him ibuprofen and the heating pad.

Friday morning, asked him how he felt, he made a throwing motion, and said it still hurt.  Gave him ibuprofen and talked to his Hurricanes coach and let him know Aiden would be unable to pitch at that night’s game due to his arm hurting.  His coach chose to completely sit him out to rest his arm, and I told Aiden that at his dad’s this weekend he was not to play baseball, football, or golf, or anything else where he was using his arm, he needed to rest it.  Apparently he took that quite literally.

I called him Saturday morning and asked how his arm felt.

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“I’m being good and listening, I haven’t used it.”

“Ok, well can you make one throwing motion and tell me how it feels?”

“But you told me not to do that.”  Well, at least he listens.

I did finally convince him to make the motion, still hurt, but not nearly as much, told him to take an ibuprofen at that time and again at dinner. 

Today, I just avoided the conversation and texted him to take an ibuprofen.

And that’s why they have wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment