Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Very Important Diva


Animals all have such unique personalities.  They all bring something different to your life.  Perhaps that is why we have a house full of them.

Our cat Nala, she can be a little diva.  Um, actually, by “our” cat, I really mean my son “Aiden’s” cat, and that is one of those things she’d be sure to let you know.  If he is not here, she is not happy, she’ll spend quite a bit of her time looking for him or giving you dirty looks because she can’t find him.

And that is not all.  That water in the bowl in the kitchen?  Well, one of the dogs was spotted drinking out of that, you better give her fresh.  That spot on the bed?  You want to lay there?  Hahahahahaha!  You think you want to play a video game?  Think again, you want to pet a cat!  Especially if you are trying to play that game while sitting on the top bunk bed, which is certainly known to all of the world as Nala’s kingdom. Eating chicken?  You better not leave it unattended.   And of course, everyone wants to hear her meow all day, every day, she is a talker!

Nala has been acting a little weird the last week or so.  Very little “conversation,” eliciting even a single meow has become a challenge.  She hasn’t been sitting on Aiden’s top bunk, much less trying to take control of the Xbox controller while she is there.  Still eating, but not trying to steal anything from your plate.

Yesterday she started acting very sick.  Vomiting.  Won’t eat, not even people food.  I forced her to drink water from a medicine syringe this morning because she would not drink, only stare at the water bowl.

Aiden and I took her to the vet this afternoon.  She was actually in better spirits than this morning and was drinking some water on her own this afternoon, I was thinking maybe she just had a virus and was recovering.  At first, I think the vet did too.  Until she looked at Nala’s ears and mouth, and said she was jaundiced.  She said this could be quite serious. This could be something  we may have to discuss “options” for.    Aiden suddenly busied himself with all the animal photos on the wall and tuned things out. 

Nala is still at the vet.  She’s being given IV’s and tested.  She has to stay there at least until tomorrow.  She is only 4 years old, and one of Aiden’s best friends.

Aiden, he is exhibiting his own unusual behavior.  Completely ignoring the rest of the animals, even when my cat is doing things that usually annoy him, like swatting him with her tail.  He studied for a test that he already took, even told a friend in his class that called him he couldn’t talk because he was studying for it.  He doesn’t want to talk about the cat, except that he did ask me could we please go visit her tomorrow if she can’t come home.

My heart is breaking. 

My cat, Ally, she just came to head bump me because she saw tears on my face.  Animals can be such an amazing part of your life.  I am praying that Aiden gets to keep Nala as part of his.

We're missing a very important member of our family tonight.  This is really a time I’m grateful that there is wine.  I hope I have enough.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment