Monday, October 10, 2016

What That Meme Tells Me

That meme.  That one.  You know, the one that appears to be mandatory to post for every supporter of a particular candidate.  The one that accuses people of being offended by a subject or words, while feigning ignorance to what the context means.  Yeah, you know it.  The one that tells me I’m a hypocrite for finding something despicable when I’ve bought or read “50 Shades of Gray.”

Except, I haven’t.  

So I guess I have your approval to write this blog.  Not that it matters, because I don’t need your approval, I am lucky enough to live in a country that gives me the right to express my opinion, whether you like it or not.

Let me start with a disclaimer, to stop the other talking points that everyone finds so factual.  I don't plan to vote for Clinton.  I condemned what Bill Clinton did and still do.  If this kind of fact comes out about who I do plan to vote for, I will be writing in Mickey Mouse.

Let me tell you what I hear every time I see that meme:

  • As stated above, I’m not allowed to have an opinion if I read a book.  A fictional book.  One that has no possibility of having an impact on my life for at least the next 4 years.2.      
  • I’m obviously a hypocrite.  Because ALL women have read the book, and that the book about a consensual sexual relationship is an indicator of our morality.  Well, maybe I should read it, because I do support consensual sexuality.     

  •  You don’t get it.  You really don’t, or you think it’s better to feign stupidity.  It’s not about the “dirty words.”  Pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy….look, I can say that. (And darn, now my cat thinks I’m calling her.)  It’s about those words in context.  It’s about what the context means.
  • You don’t think I can understand the context, and that I’m going to fall for the accusation that I’m just offended by words.  Guess what, women are not stupid, at least not all of us.
  • You think all people need a tic-tac so that they can go kiss some unwilling person, that’s what you all talk about with your friends.
  • You think that women are dying to kiss that man or be groped by him.  Or you.  It’s just a fact.
  •  You are so enamored by a charismatic person that you don’t care what they do or say.  That is actually just downright scary.  His wife, running mate, and even himself can say it was offensive, but you will defend it as harmless locker room talk….   
  • YOU THINK THAT A MAN TOUCHING OR KISSING A FEMALE JUST BECAUSE HE WANTS TO IS OK

I’m not a person who is offended by much. I have male friends, I roll my eyes at their actual “locker room” talk, but I’m not offended by a man finding a female attractive.  I’m actually not OFFENDED by what this candidate said, I am saddened.  I am saddened that there are men who still think women are nothing more than objects for their pleasure.  I am saddened that it’s so widespread that we find that to be acceptable.  I am saddened for anyone who has actually endured some type of sexual assault (including myself, sadly, millions of women have been), I am saddened that there are a number of friends that I will never see the same way again, and really unsure if I want to associate with them if they think that those of my gender only have the worth of their “pussy.”  Especially when they themselves are female.

I don’t have issues with people for voting for a particular candidate because they think they are the best choice.  I don’t let politics get in the way of friendships.  You vote for who you think is best in your opinion, I will vote for who I think is best. But I do have standards for those I choose to call friends, and one of those is that they don’t condone sexual assault, or the vocalization that it is OK.  I’m hoping some of you, those who really think they are just somehow being patriotic, will rethink what you are telling others.

That’s why they have wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment