Friday, May 13, 2016

I Don't Want Him in the Bathroom With Me

I don’t want him in the bathroom with me.  I never will. 

It’s not that I think he is a bad guy, that he is going to leer at me, or that he is going to hurt me. I don’t care what he is wearing or looks like.  I just don’t want him there.  It makes me uncomfortable.  I have a difficult enough time using the toilet if I think someone, anyone, can hear me, there is no way I could do it if he were in there with me.

I’ll hold it and wait until he is gone.  I’ll even wait till he is nowhere near the door.

Right now, some people are thinking I’m ignorant.  Or bigoted, prejudice, or hateful.  Some even construe that to mean I’m also obviously a bad parent and even racist.

No one wants to listen to my reasons, nor cares about my comfort.  My comfort is not important to anyone.  Apparently I’m so used to my privilege, that I feel persecuted when someone else is being treated equally to me, and it’s his right to go into any bathroom any time, and I just have to deal with it.

It doesn’t matter that we’ve both been using the bathroom all along without any issues, suddenly our feelings about bathrooms are everyone’s business to judge.

But, I’m sorry, I will never change my mind.  He’s not going to be in there when I’m peeing. He is just going to have to accept the fact that we will never use the bathroom together.

If you’re still with me, still reading, still think I’m an OK person, your reward is knowing that I am talking about my husband.  Those that didn’t because you assumed I was talking about something else and are writing me nasty comments and unfriending me, well, sorry you couldn’t hear me out.

There is so much division in society, so much “us versus them,” so much hate and anger and so little true caring and compassion.  We can’t even listen to each other.

Your neighbor, your coworker, your family member that isn’t just like you – invite them over and talk.  Listen. Care. Learn to understand their viewpoint.


Share a bottle of wine.  That’s why they have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment