Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Working Hard For The Money


 



When I listen to music, I am a lyric person.  You can have the greatest melody in the world, but if I find your lyrics to be stupid or annoying, your song will go on my most hated list.

There have even been a few songs lately that have come REALLY close to bypassing “Barracuda” by Heart.  MOST ANNOYING SONG EVER.  But that song nor it’s extremely close competitors  are what this blog is actually about.  It’s about a certain song that just makes me want to slap Pitbull and Neyo.  What the heck kind of names are THOSE anyways?

Growing up, I remember a lot of songs about hard work.  You know, those songs that may have complained about it, but were about being responsible anyways?

Remember these?  “9 to 5” by Dolly Parton?  Jump in the shower and the blood starts pumpin'. Out on the streets, the traffic starts jumpin'.  With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5.”

“Manic Monday” by the Bangles?  Have to catch an early train.  Got to be to work by nine.”
 
“Working for a Living” by Huey Lewis?  Hey I'm not complaining 'cause I really need the work.  Hitting up my buddy's got me feeling like a jerk.  Hundred dollar car note, two hundred rent. ”
 
“Working for the Weekend” by Loverboy?  Well, hey, the name says it all there.  That’s what us working people do.

“Working Hard for the Money” by Donna Summer?  She'll never sell out.  She never will.  Not for a dollar bill.  She works hard.  She works hard for the money.”

Now we have “I knew my rent was gon' be late about a week ago.  I worked my ass off, but I still can't pay it though.  But I just got just enough  to get up in this club.”  Um, what?  You can’t pay your rent but going to a club is top priority.  I. WANT. TO. SLAP. YOU.  Ok, so maybe this song is close to being as annoying as “Barracuda.”  Or maybe not, because it probably won’t still be around in 20 years when all the people in the club are homeless and want to slap them too.

Life is hard work.  It’s not always about having fun.  Sometimes it sucks.

That’s why they have wine.  And it’s a lot cheaper to drink it at home.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment